Goodmorning to all of you! The sun is shining over here :-).
I am very proud of the project that I’ve made on my sewing machine, so a long home sweet home post with a lot of photos to show you! A very little bit experience, check it here and here and my sewingmachine is just a very simple one from that swedish giant furniture store 😉 but taken this all for granted I came up with a plan and worked it out! One of the little members of my love his family turned two this weekend. Over christmas she got a cool type of doll’s house: a farm house! Beautiful wood with even more beautiful little animals to live in it. My love and I got inspired by that (perhaps an unknown wish? Or simply jealous of that cool playhouse?!…;-)) and made a playing rug to go with it. Mmm well, he designed it and I made it.
I was invited by sweet Liset from StudioSOIL to dive into her vintage fabric collection, boy o boy what a diamonds she has there! By that time I was so excited about this project that I was also getting nervous about the result….other people were waiting for the result! The blue borders I have made out of old curtain that I still had from my student dorm room, the grass in the middle is green corduroy that I once bought at a market.
I had a deadline so I started:
Did so you see all the great fabrics, thanks again Liset! It was quite hard sometimes to handle the large piece under the light sewing machine. It got stuck many times and there is definitely room for improvement if there is a next time for such a project. I did not iron the flowers on, I directly sew them on the light green corduroy. To get some dept in the picture I’ve made felt leaves and only sew them half on so they stand up a little bit. That same thing I did with the reed, the pont side grass bits.
In the meantime the big thinking part of the process continued…. I wanted to make the rug compact and useful besides the fun-part. At Ikea’s I found a type of plastic fabric, perfect for the foundation. Two fleece blanket were sewn together to get the filling done. Not too easy that fleece….very light but so hard to handle! I thought about it right in time to also sew them together to prevent them from sliding inside the rug or roll up over time… pfff!
Some straps and a handle to carry the rug outside were made as well. And after all this fun (with sometimes a little struggle) I came to the final stage of assembling the rug. The right sides together and sew a border around it…..flip it inside out to get the good side up again….and tadaaaaaaa!